[nagdu] Leader's Accelerated mobility program

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Wed May 25 14:27:57 UTC 2011

Hi Tracy

Yep, I'm the one that went to Leader for the AMP program because of the
minimal mobility training my State provided.  now is a good time for me
to get my mobility down solid.  I do feel it is very hard for me as I
have some remaining vision. It was hard to ask for help because I often
am treated like I don't need it even though I really do benefit from a
cane and some day a guide dog.

I learned a lot at leader.  I needed concentrated practice crossing busy
streets, and I got that.  I still catch my cane a lot, and I felt they
did not address that well - they just said it takes time.  I was told to
pay more attention to what my cane was saying but that is hard when it
catches all the time.  I'm going to purchase a slightly shorter cane and
experiment with the different tips I have from the 2 canes I currently
have.  My mobility instructor from my state was good, he just was not
allotted funds/time to give me much training.  I am now combining all
the tips from the state-supplied instructor and leader to travel safely
and efficiently.  Kind of like a 12-step group - take what you want and
leave the rest.

At Leader we also did a guide dog experience.  it was okay.  I walked
with a small dog and the trainer said right away the harness handle was
     too short and the dog walked slower than my pace. I had issues with
balance and I was trying so hard not to lead the dog which was hard with
this slow-walking guide. I did not want them to think I had too much
usuable vision for a dog.   It was a good experience and I will get a
guide when my pet passes on.  I realize this was just a brief
introduction to using a guide.  As I was the last person to go out (all
the totally blind were taken out first) and the miss match, I did wonder
if I was just an afterthought.
There was a thread recently about letting someone else use your guide.
If I had the opportunity, I would ask someone to allow me
to have another guiding experience with them present of course.

Besides the badly needed traffic training I got the Kapten.  This device
would have been helpful for me all my life as a high partial.  I still
have nightmares of being lost and wondering around trying to find my
way.  My trips were always longer because i could not read street
signs.  The main thing is I have the Kapten now.

I sure hope the word about the kapten gets out to high partials who are
often left out because they are expected to be able to see.  Growing up,
all the attention, information etc went to blind students/campers, etc.,
leaving high partials in the dark.  Wwe were never given the
opportunities and struggled to live in the sighted world with very
limited vision and no adaptive strategies - we could not accept who we
were as high partials.

I really needed and benefited from leader's Accelerated Mobility
training (AMP).  I still do have usable vision to walk a straight line,
but I think somehow it is because I use my cane.  When i was a high
partial someone said I walked crooked lines but now that I use a cane I
walk straighter.  I still feel like my vision puts me in limbo.  I know
a cane and a guide dog will help me, but I don't think the instructors
think I need the help.  Hopefully the guide dog school I choose will
agree with me.

I am glad to see the leader AMP program there for those of us that never
got the chance of having mobility training which of course you need
before you can get a guide dog.  I think many low partials could benefit
from leader's AMP program.

Brenda

Brenda