[nagdu] question about NFB centers and service dogs

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Tue May 31 18:18:41 UTC 2011

This question came to me at GDF and since we train dogs for tasks along with
guide work I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knows current policy.

I understand that use of guide dogs during certain activities is prohibited
at some NFB centers if not all but that people may work their dogs either in
certain areas or at certain times and may work them to and from the facility
for training if not residential.

What if the dog performs other tasks such as balance assistance for the
person or retrieval of objects or even alerts for seizures or sound alerts
for people with hearing loss? These tasks are needed throughout the day in
various environments. Would the dog be prohibited from accompanying the
person and performing these tasks along with guiding? How would that be
handled?
Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com