[nagdu] Why good O&M training is so important

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Nov 2 19:31:35 UTC 2011

Hi Gary.
In the US, we also have guidelines for audible signals, and, as I recall,
they are good guidelines.  Lukas Franck of The Seeing Eye had a big hand
in writing them.  However, when I was working my butt off to get an
audible signal in my town, I found the traffic engineers and their bosses
who purchase and install audible signals had absolutely no clue, and, even
when Lukas and I showed them the guidelines and recommended good options,
they ignored us and got what they got.  Luckily, they did then work with
Lukas to make the signal a good neighbor, while still doing the job.  I'm
really happy to have it.  It's made a big difference to me.  I no longer
feel like I'm taking my life in my hands when I cross that intersection,
as I must do several times a week.
Tracy