[nagdu] Why good O&M training is so important

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 2 19:06:32 UTC 2011

Hi

I would have to second that thought. I have argued in favour of audible signals on this list before but have never heard a signal like this one. As I have said in my emails on this topic, I feel the audible signal is another aid to assist in my safe crossing of the road. However, it is not the only thing that tells me it is okay to go so I certainly wouldn't want it drowning out the car turning right towards me.

In Canada we have a set of national transportation guidelines with the goal of ensuring that the types of signals being used are consistent around the country. The universality of the tones for north south and east west crossings hasn't been finalized but I believe it is very close to achieving this goal. This means in the future in Canada where ever you go, if there are audible signals, the tones for each directional crossing will be the same.

It was also nice to hear from a person who lives in New York to explain that there may be other reasons why it is difficlut to make certain crossings there. Personally, in downtown Vancouver, I find it much harder to assess whether it is safe to go. It is fine when there is heavy ttraffic flow but at many times, or in some parts of downtown, the traffic flow is fairly low. However, I figure there are enough street people making random crossings in downtown that motorists are on their guard so a person actually crossing at a cross walk and paying attention isn't likely to be run down. :)

Gary