[nagdu] audible steet lights and O&M

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 4 15:25:48 UTC 2011

Agreed. I don't mind having an added cue to what's going on in all the
city sound I may be listening to before I decide to cross the street.
But it is one cue out of many. I've decided to make it a low priority
cue at that. My primary cue is still the sound of traffic; second the
sound of other pedestrians crossing. Even then, those are cues and don't
make my decision for me. If I'm unsure, I will just hang back near the
curb and listen for patterns in movement so that I can better judge when
it is safe for us to cross. Even if I'm with a sighted companion, I will
always be sure *I* am satisfied and then that Mitzi is satisfied before
we step off the curb into the street. It's all pretty automatic by now,
and I can judge the sounds more quickly than I could at first, when I
would  end up listening to traffic cycle two or three times before I
figured it out. /lol/

I do find that the O&M instructors hereabouts are just thrilled by those
signals as the end all and be all of street crossings. I've heard them
advise people to travel blocks out of the way just to cross at an
audible signal because then the blind cane traveler can just listen to
the signal to know when to cross the street. They don't have to listen
to traffic or anything like that to know when to cross, just go when the
chirping starts so you can get across the street before the light
changes. OMG!!! Well, I told the O&M instructor who laid that one on me
exactly how far I was going to follow that advice and why. No way, no
how. When the chirping or cuckoo starts, I know a light has changed, and
I factor that into my sense of the environment. And that's as far as
that goes.Period. I think that might have gone into my file as an
example of "failure to cooperate." Also, it was an indication that I use
my really great vision somehow... So I just generally suck altogether...
Needless to say, when I need to figure out a new route or how to manage
a tricky crossing with either cane or dog, the *last* thing I am likely
to do is to call an O&M instructor for help with that. The audible
crossing thing may be the *worst* advice they've ever given me, but it's
not the only bad advice, and all the personal insult and you shouldn't
go there in the first place because you would have to cross the street
and The Blind can't and... Never mind!

So I hear blind people telling me and each other to do that with the
audible crossingss. "That's what my instructor told me to do!"they'll
say cheerily, confident that they are doing things the right way. Oh, no
way, no how!

My hair really started to stand on end over that when I started hearing
it elsewhere. Apparently, there is a whole crop of O&M instructors out
there being paid by our tax dollars to teach blind people how to get
themselves killed. So then I do what you did in your message. I fight a
rearguard action to try to get some notion of crossing safety past the
teachings of the certified O&M instructor... Sometimes it gets through
enough to inspire thought. Other times, it turns out that I am the one
who needs to get an O&M instructor to teach me how to listen to those
audible signals so I can use them to cross the street. Sigh. Ain't gonna
happen.

 From the man (or woman?) on the street, I have gotten to hear how
wonderful it is they have those audible signals so that my dog can know
when to cross the street, since everyone knows dogs are color blind and
can't see the colors of the traffic lights. Oh, goody! I was getting so
tired of back when nobody could figure out how my guide dog knew when to
cross the street because dogs are color blind. So I still miss safe
crossing opportunities because I am standing there at the curb
attempting to educate about how street crossing with a guide dog really
works. Then the person I'm patiently explaining to as simply as I can
sees the light change and leaps into the crosswalk trying to take me
with them, with the result that they end up standing in the middle of
the street in a busy instersection calling that it's safe to go and
calling my dog. and all that... I tell them calmly that I will wait,
while clicking and popping a reward into Mitzi's mouth for not coming
when other people call her. I used to just turn around to express my
adamance about not crossing the street because the person standing in
the middle of it is telling me it's safe. However, I've discovered that
the click and treat action, praising Mitzi specifically for doing what
she should, gets the fool out of the middle of the street more quickly
because they invariably throw up their hands in disgust and hustle on
their way in a huff. Whew! Now I can stop worrying about their safety
and just hope they don't get themselves killed crossing the next street.
Good grief!

Tami