[nagdu] another question about freelance classes

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Nov 6 19:56:29 UTC 2011

At Seeing Eye, our freelance stuff happened near the end of training.  WE
would talk to ouor instructor about the things we were interested in doing
with our dogs before we left.  Many people who live in rural areas asked for
more sidewalkless routes.  I had the opportunity to do two trips to NYC to
do heavy duty city work.

When I trained with Jacob - longtime listers will remember him - I had an
instructor take me to a horse stable to see how Jacob woould respond to
horses.  I was living in a rural area where there were horses and my own
family had them.  Jacob was fine with them.

When I went to get Landon, my instructor took me to a nursing home to see
how he'd do in that envirnment.  Even went into a resident's room - when
they begged us to - to visit.  Landon enjoyed this and now we are doing pet
assisteed therapy and we go to nursing homes and other facilities for people
with mental health issues.

Be sure to talk to your instructors about what kinds of envirnments you and
the new dog will go to in your life together.  Sometimes it is good to have
an instructor with you for the first time you do some activities with your
new dog.  This way you maximize your time at the guide dog school and
utilize all opportunities that will be beneficial to you when you go home.
No feelings or questions are too dumb to ask - that's what the trainers are
there for!

Lyn and Landon