[nagdu] Odie: Medical Alert Does It Again!!!

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 13 00:53:31 UTC 2011

Hi, all,
Today was the day for the Blind Bowlers league practice.
Odie went with me like usual, wearing his medical alert vest.
During bowling, he sensed something was wrong with our team captain, Cathy
Sowl.
Her blood sugar level happened to be down around 42.
For some odd reason, something kept telling me to go over and see if Odie
was lying down under the chair which I had him tied to.
He wasn't lying down and he kept look into Cathy's direction.
I then asked her if she was all right as I noticed her concentration level
was off and her energy level almost wiped out.
I offered to run up to the snack area to grab her a snack as she requested
frosted animal crackers.
Cathy gave me the $5.00 bill and I went to get them for her.
Afterward, she checked her sugar level again and it was around 120.
Odie still felt uneased and I suggested cathy to go over to him, pat Odie on
the head to reassure him that she would be all right.
After that, he lie down for the rest of practice and didn't move unless I
went toward him to get ready for going home.
Another way I knew Odie was bothered by Cathy Sowl's blood sugar being low
was because he began to get agitated.
His whole body was feeling like a blown up balloon, ears bacn and his tail
was down.
Glad that I agreed with my husband to go ahead with Odie being a medical
alert service dog once he retired from being a great guide dog.
i'm curious of others who are diabetic and how do their guide dogs react to
them directly?
So far, I've only come across a few stories of how some guide dogs have
reacted to their handlers having low blood sugar, a possible or on-coming
seizure or even a panic attack.
The pawsons are great and I give dogs lots of credit for who they are.
I know that day will come when I'll get my next successor guide dog partner.
Bibi and Odie
the happy spirited bounty labra wolf