[nagdu] Audible Traffic lights

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 15 05:28:39 UTC 2011

Hi, Marion,
Since you've mentioned a tough intersection, I dealt with one where all the
streets ran into each other.
I was at First Avenue and Steele street and had to cross probably six to
eight lanes of trafic.
Trust me. It was hard to predict how the flow of trafic was going,
especially if I had to listen to how it operated via each cycle.
Each island I came upon, I had to push the cross walk button.
I was thankful that Jadwiga Brown, my mobility instructor during that time
was with me and gave me some valuable tips.
She honestly recommended I not try crossing that intersection alone and she
even said that herself being fully sighted wouldn't try it alone either.
Both of us agreed that it was good I checked out that intersection, despite
that so many streets ran into one another.
That's when I wish all of them trafic crosswalk buttons did have the talking
audible pedestrian signal.
Truth here is that it's not just blind individuals who use them: elderly
folks find them helpful and so do those who have optism.
Kids who start to learn how to cross the street around age five or happen to
be with parents also benefit not just only seeing the walking man/hand gain
an understanding of why those are important.
Although I do find the APS helpful at times, I've learned to rely on my
guide dogs in the past, especially back when Odie was in his guide dog
career.
If I tried to move, he'd immediately step out in front of me or quickly push
me back.
He'd then look at me as to say, "Mommy! What in the heck do you think you
were doing?"
Sometimes, I'd purspoely move forward to test Odie's guide dog training
skills and how quick he'd react.
I do feel that it's sad when the APS aren't taken seriously in some areas
that are known to be a dangerous spot and when misfortune strikes, that's
when it ends up being looked at again.
I will hope and pray that a resolution can be found for dealing with that
tricky intersection: the one you mentioned.
Bibi and Odie
the happy spirited bounty labra wolf