[nagdu] Audible Traffic lights

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 14 15:36:27 UTC 2011

Larry,
    There is an intersection in our neighborhood where it is sometimes
difficult to tell when the parallel trafic light has changed and it is safe
to cross due to the light flow of traffic in the direction of travel. It
happens to be so in both the east=-west and north-south directions. Merry
and I can stand at the corner through several cycles before getting enough
traffic to help us in our crossing. We have discussed petitioning for an
audible pedestrian signal at this intersection.
    Unfortunately, many blind people believe that there should be a signal
at each and every intersection. After all, they argue, sighted people have
the signals to tell them when it is safe, why not have the same advantage
for the blind. The reason I oppose the wholesale installation of such
signals is because of their cost. It would cost about $73 million to install
such signals at only the state highway intersection in Hillsborough County
(Tampa) Florida. This does not include the county and city roads. Nor does
it include the installation and maintenance of these signals. I think a
better approach is how it is done in our county. If a person requests an
audible signal, that request is evaluated by a team of people that includes
other blind consumers, an O&M professional and traffic engineers. If the
decision is made to not install the system, the individual has the right to
appeal the decision and present an argument for it. This allows for
installations only where they are needed for use by blind consumers and only
in places where the ability to cross is hindered by the inability to use
naturalistic cues.

Fraternally yours,
Marion

 the city