[nagdu] Three questions about "winterizing" a guide dog

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 15 16:32:08 UTC 2011

Gary,

Down here in the Portland version of your climate, I have a nice orange
raincoat for Mitzi from Ruff Wear that I bought at a local pet supply
store. She was 1 when I bought it, so I wanted to make sure she wouldn't
outgrow it. /lol/ It remains much too big around for her, although it
fits well enough to keep from slipping around all over. It is not nearly
long enough to cover her hind quarters, though. /lol/ Still, It does
keep most of the rain off and the extra room around that long, slender
body of hers does make it possible to use with the harness.

I managed to find the booties I lost on the first try with them, since a
friend came by to help me look for them. /lol/ Another friend came by
and helped me find the missing ones the next time Mitzi walked out of
them, too. To this day, I cannot figure out if I am too tender hearted
to tighten them enough or if it's some facet of poodle foot anatomy that
makes it so easy for her to step out of them. /lol/

I don't use them often, but I do keep them around for super hot days
when we'll be walking across blacktop and also for snow. We don't get
much, but it's wet, then it thaws a bit, then refreezes into crystals
that can cut her pads. That happened when she was a pup, although now
that she's older and her pads are tougher, I may not need to worry so
much. Still, I worry just in case. /lol/

She wears her raincoat with pride and flair because of course everybody
thinks she's just so adorable in it. The booties did not thrill her in
the least until someone walked by and laughed and cooed. So now, the
booties ar okay with her! That's my little super model rockstar. /grin/

Tami