[nagdu] Audible Traffic Lights

marilyn t21114 at optonline.net
Sat Nov 19 14:15:33 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone,
Yesterday I was at a Vision Long Island summit. Has nothing to do with blind people. Its the vision of what Long Island will be and is. 1,000 people attended. there were many Politian's, mayor, assemblyman and etc as speakers. Breakfast and Lunch was served the Melville Marriott.
After breakfast we broke into workshops. I went to the one on Transportation for Nassau and Suffolk County.
I wasn't on the panel but in the audience and did get to speak.
The next workshop I attended was about road, traffic and how to make things better for pedestrians. A NY state senator and Mayor of a village in Nassau county was on that panel.  there were 6 people on each panel. At the end I got to speak with a man from the Smithtown Chamber of Commerce. We had requested 6 audible lights in Smithtown where GDF trains there dogs and students. I was told a few have been installed already. The person from the chamber of Commerce said he liked hearing how it works as he never heard on before. Its not only for blind people but for people with other disabilities , parents trying to cross with children or babies in stroller and seniors who can't walk fast.
Anna worked great through the crowds of people. It can be overwhelming with that many people but everything was very organized and people did move for us to get through the crowds.
Marilyn and Anna