[nagdu] Freedom Guide Dogs

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed Nov 23 21:30:53 UTC 2011

Hi Milissa,
I don't know anything much about Freedom guide dog school other than a
friend of mine had applied there and I do know their head trainer - John
Byfield.  John is excellent and one of the best!

I really don't know if it is a good idea to have home training for the first
dog.  It could turn out fine but I do think it is good to be on a class with
others getting dogs as well and without the distractions of home and work.
This is just my own opinion and I'm sure there are others on the list who
will differ - hey, Melissa will need all kinds of views!

Yeah, I can see you not being able to get away to get a dog just after
starting a new job.  But, if a dog is for you, take your time in
investigating all the schools to find the right program for you.  You need
the time to adjust to a new job.  And your parents aren't sure they want you
to have a dog while living with them.

One of the things all the schools ask is if there are family members or
roommates who will object to your having a dog while you live with these
folks.  You really need to have all housemates "on board" with the idea of
you having the dog, and the dog's actual presence in the home.  And they
need to all understand that it is YOUR dog and it is a WORKING dog and NOT a
family pet to spoil.  They all MUST respect you and your need to do what you
need to do with the dog.  If this is a problem area, you MUST stand your
ground!  That can make or break your training and bonding with the dog and
can mean sucess or failure.

There can be so many problems with people's housemates objecting and they
bring in a dog anyway.  Some of the problems can include:  The rest of your
housemates don't like having a dog in the house.  Some may like having the
dog in the house TOO much - and spoil it like a pet and sabatoging your
efforts in the early bonding process.  Sometimes parents will see no reason
for you to have a dog - they can guide you themselves, you can use your cane
fine; why have a dog?  They can actually be jealous of youo depending on the
dog to do things the family member did for you.  They can act all
embarrassed around the attention you would get in public from well meaning
strangers - or even just the fact the dog draws attention.  And, people hate
to see corrections when the dog needs it.  Even when the dog gets corrected
in the manner they do at the school, some people will n otice it and have
comments about being mean to the dog.

I'm not saying that this is how your own family will react to the dog, but
these things have happened to people who bring a guide dog into the home
where the rest of the family don't want it.  If the family is real resistant
to having the dog, the school will not place it in that home because of the
stress and problems it will cause the team and the dog.  Not to mention the
damage you could do to your own sucess if you are getting lots of flak and
your nerves are on end all the time.

Spend the time researching schools, educating your workplace and your
family - especially if you plan to stay living with your folks.  By the time
you do this, go through the application process, and then the wait for a
class, you'll have worked long enough for leave to go get the dog.

All of this is just food for thought for you as I have been around guide dog
users and all kinds of situations handlers have been in since the 1970s and
just want to share my thoughts and observations to you.  Obviously, only you
know what is best for you.  And good luck on the new job!

Good luck.

Lyn and Landon