[nagdu] stairs

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Nov 24 13:20:08 UTC 2011

Thanks to everyone for your ideas on stairs.  I do have a very small
telescopic cane from ILA that would work great in this situation I
think.  If I use a support cane it would need to be on my left side,
which puts Monty on my right.  I am not opposed to working him on the
right, but I don't see a huge benefit from the support cane so didn't
want to invest the time to train Monty to work on the right.  Mostly
what I am discovering I need is balance support more so than weight support.

anyway back to stairs...I will try the cane idea and try to relax.  I'm
not so nervous at just one or two steps like a curb or my porch.  I
think I'll practice there until I'm totally relaxed.  Then I can work up
to a few steps and then entire flights when my foot allows me to do that
many comfortably.   I think it's just a matter of practice and time.
I'm very grateful to all of you who shared your similar experiences.  It
helps a lot to know that I'm not alone or crazy!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Julie