[nagdu] navigating without your cane

Sheila Leigland sleigland at bresnan.net
Sun Oct 9 04:39:21 UTC 2011

Navigating without a cane or dog is an interesting topic. I have always been totally blind and never held a cane until I was eighteen. We were not allowed to have canes in the school district which I attended so I learned how to find different buildings on campus without a cane or going sighted guide. It would have been easier with a cane or dog but I really didn't know what I was missing. I'm glad kids are now encouraged to use canes nowadays. When I went to guide school it really didn
T seem strange to put my cane away.