[nagdu] Navigating without a cane

Jennifer Piening pienings at comcast.net
Sun Oct 9 11:58:17 UTC 2011

Hi!  I have no problem with not using a cane when I have been given a
dog at a school.  That seems perfectly reasonable to me.  When you go to
an NFB training center, you know beforehand that you are expected to use
a cane.  You are not expected to go around without using either.
      I have such a strong opinion about this issue, because for a lot
of my life, people have been telling me to put away my cane, or talking
about how I really don't need to use my cane here, or that it seems like
I know the area well enough not to use my cane and on and on and on...
It sounds to me as if I am somehow an inferior traveler because I choose
to use my cane when people make comments about not needing to use it.
what about wanting/choosing to use my cane?  Shouldn't it be a choice
that I make for myself?  I find it embarrassing to travel in unfamiliar
places or places with a lot of other people without using my cane.  I
feel like a bumbling fool.  I have no problem with others deciding to
travel in whichever way they prefer.  I think the guide dog schools
should allow us to choose as well, until we get our dog.
      Jenny