[nagdu] Meet the Blind month event, October 9, 2011 on the Norwegian Gem

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 16:03:18 UTC 2011

This past Sunday, was one of I hope many events I will be planning for us.

I had posted this several months ago, that I had arranged for guide dog
users, cane users, parents of blind children, etc.; to do a ship tour of the
Norwegian Cruise Lines "GEM", on October 9th.

Well, it went wonderful! Unfortunately, some people cancelled the last
minute or we would have had 4 guide dogs instead of just one, Maxx; but like
I said, there will be more opportunities.

Norwegian has been working with me to help educate them of what it means to
be blind; and issues they have on the ships, from listening to all that I
have as clients or as in the way of others when they talk about there travel
experience.

We had a total of 18 people. 13 of us are blind, the others were either a
spouses, or part of the Parents of Blind Children. It was opened to
everyone, but turned out to be all NFB people from the NY City, Long Island,
and New Jersey Chapters.

We were met by the Access Director of the Ship, given a tour of all the
areas of the ship, including the pool, restaurants, and spa areas. Had lunch
at one of there main dining rooms, and after my hard work with the cruise
line, the "Gem", is the first to implement braille menus, and we tested them
to make sure that they read correctly and no misprints, so when prepared to
cruise, please remember to ask about this, it is being independent as well
to tell either your travel agent (hint! hint!), or the travel reservationist
with the cruise lines, so that they can get you in touch with the access
department.  This department also helps if you are diabetic, and need sharps
containers and refrigerator, allergies to food, if you need wheelchairs
accessible rooms, a box for your guide dog, etc.

If you don't do this ahead of time, they will not have want you want when
you arrive.

We also had a kosher meal for 2 of our people.  So they do offer this for
everyone, in the way of dietary needs.

Also, been talking about the Hotline as well.

So I hope the next time this is offered you will try and come, I am also
trying to work this out NY, FL, TX, and Boston where they sail out of.

I also have group space for a weekend cruise out of NY, from April 27-29. A
weekend cruise to nowhere on the Norwegian Star. Prices starting at $250.00
per person double occupancy + taxes and fees. Need to book your deposits no
later than 12/19/2011

Stayed tuned.

Leading the Way in Independent Travel!

Cheryl Echevarria
http://www.echevarriatravel.com
631-456-5394
reservations at echevarriatravel.com

Affiliated as an Independent Contractor with Superior Travel, located in
Baldwin, NY. www.superiortravel.com

Affiliated as an Independent Contractor with Absolute Cruise & Travel, Inc.