[nagdu] Getting A Dog

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Oct 13 21:51:14 UTC 2011

Welcome Hannah!

I'm Julie, one of the moderators.  I'm currently recovering from
breaking my foot, but in a few weeks I'll be working with Monty my lab
and Boxer mix guide again.  We are both looking forward to it quite a lot!

I have no advice for guide dog school selection. I owner train my
guides.  I usually tell people to figure out what it is you want from a
guide dog school.  Then prioritize the list.  When you start looking at
schools it will be much easier to find one that most closely matches
your needs.  Others have mentioned location, but you might also consider
what breeds they offer, facilities, other amenities, size of classes,
length of training, availability of follow up services and any manner of
other thing that is important to you.

What is important to me may not be important to you.  If you could share
some specific things you are looking for in a guide dog program, I think
the people here would more easily be able to help you.

Again welcome!
Julie