[nagdu] conflicting feelings

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 22 10:44:12 UTC 2011

Hi, RJ,
I have read many of the responses and do feel that you know what's best for
yourself.
I've heard many times when I've been told how blind individuals should have
a guide dog and even have been question about why many blind people don't
use guide dogs.
I have to explain to people directily that not all blind person have to use
a guide dog that some feel fine with using the white cane.
Yes, having a dog can be a big commitment, but majority of the guide dog
schools do help out with vet bills.
Yes, dog is like taking care of a kid who needs daily feedings, continuous
groomings, taken out for potty breaks and I figure most important of all
besides the bathing part, lov, kindness, respect and credit.
I can also say that Odie behaves more like a human kid than a dog.
Yes, he has accidentally destroyed things and in the beginning, he did have
a bad problem with chewing.
I eventually had to talk with a behavioralist at the Denver Dumb Friends
League here in Denver, Colorado who helpped me out lots when it came to the
chewing problem.
I eventually found out that chewing was related to stress.
Happily, Odie hasn't chewed up things that he shouldn't chew on anymore,
despite that he behaves like a one-year-old large puppy dog when he'll be
eight next month.
Yes, it's important for you to think about all of this and if you are really
ready or don't want to persue this area just yet.
Although I'd still like to get another guide dog, I'm waiting until I get
the service dog mess straightened out with my apartment complex and various
organizations who support it and most definitely, when I've finished up the
orientation and mobility course which I'm going to be taking soon.
Hope this helps.
Bibi and Odie
the happy spirited bounty labra wolf