[nagdu] conflicting feelings

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 21 19:40:45 UTC 2011

R.J.,
    One of the disadvantages of a guide dog is that, unlike a white cane,
you cannot just put it in the corner and forget about it until the nexst
time you need it. You need to groom the dog regularly, give it baths (I just
finished bathing our pups), feed it (we pay about $40/mo. for dog food),
give it exercise, get its shots, and care for it when it is sick. A dog
takes a commitment to care for another living being. Not everyone can make
that commitment and only the individual can make that decision. I hear from
many families who tell me they want their loved one to get a dog, but the
blind person doesn't want it. You need to make your own decision and not
feel pressured into it by someone else who believes it is better for you
than your cane. In my opinion, neither is "better". Each has its advantages
and disadvantages and we need to weigh them out when making this decision.
    those who have been on this list for quite some time will confirm my
constant urging to maintain good cane travel skills, even when the guide dog
is the preferred tool for mobility. A guide dog is not always the best
choice for every situation; so, one needs to be flexible in order to be
fully independent. Dogs can also become ill or the weather may not be
suitable for them to go out. when the dog is ill or the weather is poor, you
still have responsibilities to fulfill. This is the time to use the cane,
rather than the dog.
    The bottom line is that you need to make the decision as to whether or
not this commitment is for you. no one else can do that for you. We can
provide information and support, but, when it comes right down to it, you
are the one who will have the emotional and financial investment to make.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala