[nagdu] from a cane to a dog

marilyn t21114 at optonline.net
Fri Sep 2 17:57:32 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone,
I had no problem going from using a cane to using a dog. I am a good cane traveler. I had many years with the cane. When I made a decision to apply for a dog I knew nothing about guide dogs. I met Ann Morris who use to have a catalog business and her guide dog through a friend. My friend brought her to my house and then we went out to lunch. I saw her mobility was so good and listened to her commanding the dog to do certain things. I knew that day I wanted a dog. I contacted all the guide dog schools in the US. I was all set to go to San Raphael  in CA as I was accepted to all the schools I applied. I saved GDF for last. I have to say I was impressed talking to Emily B who not only spent time but asked me questions as to what I was looking for in a dog. I said I don't know. she asked me questions like do you have children, travel , work , go to stores and etc. I said yes to all the above. she offered me and my family a tour of the facilities. I was not able to go but I like her so much I decided to go to GDF when I was accepted. She also told me GDF taught leash guiding, the find command and step refusal .I had a class date and then canceled out. I called her Emily and told her I changed my mind. She asked why and I said I am afraid to trust my life to a dog as I look at my pet dogs . I use to breed poodles. She said to me your not ready for a dog. Then I decided I wanted a dog so I called back (missed that class) but was in a class a few months later. I feel it was meant to be. Once I got there I told my husband I wanted to go home . He said no you wanted a dog and I will see you next weekend. I had a wonderful roommate and wonderful class. I also got a wonderful dog so that solidified my bond with the dog and school . At the end of the class I was approached by Emily and she asked me to become a public speaker for the school Again I said no. I am not a public speaker. she said I was a natural. So the second time she asked I said yes. I spoke and did fund raising for GDF for 20 years. I took a public speaking course too. I speak now for my agency. Having a dog has not only enhanced my mobility but its nice to be able to tell the dog find the door, steps, home. bus, train, bathroom . you can't tell that to a cane.
Marilyn and Anna