[nagdu] Dog needs surgery and being attacked

marilyn t21114 at optonline.net
Fri Sep 2 16:35:12 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone,
If the vet knows the person can't pay for the surgery I wonder why they wouldn't offer to do it for free since its a service dog. That's nice that people are helping to pay for it.
years ago after my guide dog Jessie a golden was attacked by a Sheppard. The woman had no control of the dog and a neighbor had to come out and help. My dog didn't fight back at first and I kept yelling for help in the street. Then Jessie fought back. She had a puncture in her neck but was ok. some fur missing. My vet told me I was very lucky. I told the woman she shouldn't own a dog she can't handle. the dog ran out the front door when she opened it to go out.  She invited me in for tea as I was shaking. I told her no way. The neighbor wasn't sure if I was bit because I had some blood on me. I contacted GDF. I was told one of two things could happen to Jessie. she would shut down or would become aggressive. Nether happened. she was a wonderful working dog. Me I was traumatized . For weeks after I was afraid to walk alone . another time a man on a phone pole came to my rescue when Doberman got loose and the man saw the dog running after me from behind. He got down from the pole and chased the dog away from us. He had some kind of weapon in his hand and was ready to hit the dog with it. I appreciated his help.I think for blind people its one of the most scary things for our dogs to be attacked.
Marilyn and Anna