[nagdu] more Questions About accessing

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Sep 3 15:35:16 UTC 2011

Tatyana,

I extremely rarely have access issues.  Rarely am I even asked if Monty
is a service/guide dog, which is perfectly legal for them to ask.  On
one occasion I was asked for ID, which is not legal for them to ask
for.  However many maybe all? of the guide dog programs issue ID to
their graduates.  So if you had particular difficulty with explaining
access laws or did not feel comfortable advocating for yourself, you
would have one of these cards to show.

Okay here are some things that I believe contribute to my very low
incidence of access issues.
I live in a very small town.  Everyone knows everyone and I am the only
blind person with a guide dog.  They all know me, whether or not I know
them *smile* and they know I'm the real thing.

Monty is well groomed and well behaved.  He is always an example of how
a guide dog should behave.  If he isn't I deal with it immediately and
expediently.   I am probably over sensitive about his behavior since I
trained him.

I do not stop to discuss whether or not I am allowed in a particular
public place.  If a business owner starts in on asking questions I
announce that he is a guide dog, smile, nod and keep on walking.  I have
never had anyone chase me down or talk to my back.  In short, if you
look like you have every right to be there, you must and they leave me
alone.

Monty is not a particularly cute and cuddly looking dog.  He is large,
powerful, black and doesn't enjoy visiting with strangers.  We do not
get a lot of unwanted attention from random people.  Monty is not at all
dangerous, but he's all business when he's in harness.

I also know my rights and will not hesitate to explain them should the
need arise.  I am a confident person and carry myself that way, head up,
looking straight ahead, calm expression etc.  I walk at a quick pace,
which I think people also view as confidence.

I hope that helps you feel more at ease with possible access issues.
They do come up and you will have to deal with them, but I'd about bet
that if you never get a dog you'll likewise experience some sort of
access issue.  I think having a guide dog increases the amount of access
discussions, but I think all blind people universally need to be
prepared to advocate for ourselves.

HTH
Julie