[nagdu] to Tatyana

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Mon Sep 5 17:13:13 UTC 2011

Hi Tatyans,
I've had two German shepherds, one Lab/Golden retriever mix, and the rest
full Labs - two black and two yellow.  Some of the dogs worked out and some
did not.

The Labs are similar but each dog had its own personality.  So did the
shepherds.  The Labs are generally fairly laid back with a "whatever you
want is fine with me" attitude.  They are an easy breed to place with the
widest variety of handlers and work well.  Some need more activity and some
are happy to be a couch potato - lying arouond the house or waiting for us
to go somewhere.  They are very easy to train for the most part although
some can be very stubborn.

I have found many shepherds are quite high strung and have lots of nervous
energy.  They can have the attitude of "Make me do that!" They tend to be
very alert and will test the handler to the highest degree.  You have to be
on your toes with this breed generally.

Both breeds can be very loyal to their handler and are good workers.  Of
course, there are always exceptions to each breed.  You can find a very
nervous high strung Lab and a very mellow easy going shepherd.  These breeds
are the most used for guide work although other breedxs can be used.  People
on this list have and do work with breeds other than Labs and shepherds and
they do very well.  There's a guide horse user on list as well.  She uses a
miniature horse which is the size of a large dog.

I'll bet reading the American Braille is easier than me reading English
print and then looking at the Russian print.  I learned from my niece that
Ukrainian uses the Cyrillic alphabet as well as the Russians do and I saw
the reading materials she had.

Take care,

Lyn and Landon