[nagdu] Stress Issues

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Sep 6 00:09:45 UTC 2011

Lora,

My thoughts in order that they occurred to me.  My first thought about
the shedding was that it might just be normal getting rid of the summer
coat in readiness for the winter coat.  This will depend on what breed
of dog you have and where you live and the weather there.  My second
thought was to see the vet.  Excessive shedding can be from a thyroid
problem among other things.  Simple bloodwork can rule out a thyroid
issue.  If it is that there is pretty inexpensive medication that can help.

Then after reading more of the messages on this topic, I would suggest
more exercise.  He sounds like a really high energy dog that has
leftover energy he doesn't know what to do with.   The shedding may or
may not be related to stress and the behaviors, but more exercise
certainly won't hurt.

Exercise ideas:  long walks, a treadmill, interactive toys or playing
fetch down a long hall or set of stairs. Also if you have a local dog
club agility just for fun might be fun.  Fly ball is also a fun dog
sport if you can find a local group that will let you practice with
them.  If you know someone with a well behaved dog to set up a play date
that may help.  A large fenced in area where he can run is good if he
will run and play on his own.   I don't know how you might feel about
this one, but some dogs love to chase a flashlight beam in a semi dark
room.  I also like to dance with Monty in the winter months when we
can't get out as much.  It isn't dancing at all, instead it is actually
practice getting into heel position on my left side as I move around the
room in random patterns.  I give a treat when he's at my left side.  I
toss the treat so he has to get out of heel position to get it, which
sets him up for the next opportunity.

T-touch or massage are also good ways to quietly relax after a long
day.  I'm no expert at T-touch despite what Tami says!  I have just read
the book a few times and have practiced with my own dogs.  It really
does work.

I can't imagine living with an adult dog with the sorts of behavior
issues you are describing.  It's what I'd expect from a puppy.  I feel
your pain.  I hope you can get it sorted out.

Best of luck,
Julie