[nagdu] Stress Issues

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 19:28:18 UTC 2011

Steve,

Well, you are right, of course, and I agree with you that we all have a
great influence on our dogs. As they do on us. /smile/So the proverb
"Know thyself" is the foundation of building a good team with any given
guide dog. Don't know if there's a proverb that says "know thy dog," but
I would consider that the second step. This is sometimes much easier
said than done, so that the evolution of a partnership over time then
has some fairly frustrating periods while both sides try to figure it
out. Of course, the dog doesn't need no fancy proverbs to get it. It's
just a dog and it assumes we're just us, and so why do we have to
overcomplicate things the way we do? /lol/

So, when we have an issue to solve with one f our guides, large or
small, we do need to look at ourselves. At the same time, I do try to
remember when talking -- or writing -- to a new guide dog handler with a
still pretty new dog, that it's a learning process for both of them.
Well, and I have to be careful not to project my assumptions and
expectations onto them. It's a safe bet there are plenty of people in
the new guide dog handler's life who are doing that with gusto. Whether
they have any business sticking their nose in or not! Anyway, for
myself, I try to find a balance between trying to assist the handler
without adding to the "blame the handler" game. It's a pretty fine line.
Heck, I can't even find the balance always, when I'm the handler I'm
talking to. /lol/ Honestly, diagnosing myself is the first step toward
any problem solving -- as I perceive it, anyway -- with my dog... So I
can waste a lot of time trying to figure out what's wrong with me
without ever noticing the very obvious solution to what is really a very
simple minor problem until somebody hits me over the head with it.
That's just the kinda girl I am, I guess. /grin/

Also, our problem is that the handler is sort of like a kid... Who would
rather play with her fun puppy than remember manners and etiquette and
good working practices. Fortunately, my guide has gotten pretty good at
correcting me when I forget that if I don't pay attention, I'm going to
get hurt, so that's a good thing. /lol/

So for the past week or a little more, I've been trying to figure out a
good way to go re-work Mitzi on kitty distractions, since the sudden
appearance of a kitten out of a backpack on the sidewalk is clearly too
exciting for her... So as I remember back to the incident of the kitty
in questions, it occurs to me that I seem to remember nearly tripping
over the dog to get to love on the kitten first... I'm exaggerating a
bit there, but I did want to get my hands the kitten! Like I say,
sometimes it's the handler who is like a kid. /grin/ Anyway, my first
step then in preventing  a major distraction next time one just pops
into being someplace kittens are completely unexpected, would be to
train myself in kitten distractions. If I'm not stopping myself to go
pet the kitten, I will be much  more able to help my guide dog bypass
the kitten in the first place. It appears from experience that once I
give into kitten temptation at the same instant as my dog does, we are
both lost.  It has also become very apparent to me that I can't manage
to have nice normal problems like everybody else. Nope! I have to
involve kittens. What's a girl to do? /grin/

Tami