[nagdu] some advice

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 10 15:43:45 UTC 2011

Yeah, living with a rescue/rehab dog and using every tool in my own box
and a few other people's just to unscrew her from what people did to her
has given me some similarly harsh opinions. Well, resurgence of anxiety
based move back toward fear aggression due to arthritis pain means we
have pretty much made the decision to send her on sooner rather than
later. We've been enjoying our last few months with her, keeping the
pain managed as best we can and giving her that happy, safe, loved life
DD promised her when she rescued herself by coming to live with him. She
still mostly has happy times, although we have to up her pain meds
pretty frequently because when she's not having pain, she wants to run
like a puppy... We did discuss using a crate to enforce rest or letting
her remain in a little pain to stay in bed and allow the strain to heal,
but... Her fragile psyche would suffer, so it's not really quality of
life for her. Also, if that fragile psyche snaps... Someone else might
suffer. So I'm going through another phase of wanting to track down the
people who treated our sweet love hound so badly and do some pretty
medieval things to them. And that's just while I'm still being nice!
Gr....

I will add that reading her file from the Humane society does show that
the vet who put her back together after the tangle with the dump truck
did some pretty impressive work. And they did the best they could in the
context of Oregon resources and culture... There was quite a while when
I first knew her that I wondered if they did her any favors there... But
the past three years, at least, she has been happy, healthy, coddled,
learning to play and to watch the world go by instead of going
hysterical and loud over it... She still barks for fun, and she sure is
loud, but it's a different bark. And she still likes treeing her
squirrels, who like being treed, but she can enjoy them quietly. Unless
they throw things at her to get her to bark and give them more
entertainment. /lol/

Anyway, I'm in favor of giving possible dog adopters temperament tests
and having them evaluated by teams of psychologists and... Probably this
will never become policy, since it is really extreme and not even a
little practical. Just my own 'tude showing. /smile/ Then I go to the
dog park and watch people with their rescue/rehab dogs doing wonderful
things with them and remember that sometimes humans ain't all that bad.

Tami