[nagdu] some advice

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Sep 11 18:28:45 UTC 2011

Yeah, Bibi, I used to watch those Animal Cops shows.  My favorite one was
the NYC one.  It is true that so many of the dogs they brought in were very
badly abused or neglected.  Many of these dogs were great pets and were
grateful for the new person in their lives who rescued them.  Yes, others
have been so emotionally damaged that they could not be made safe for
another person to adopt.  The kindest thing to do was to put them down.

Larry, I volunteer at my local Humane Society and I know that they will NOT
put a dog down if they can help it.  They will euthanize an animal if it is
very sick and suffering and cannot be made well or they are too dangerous to
the public to adopt them out.  Most of the animals we get in are owner
relinquished and not strays.  SD Animal Control gets the strays and ones
taken from abusive homes.  We sometimes housed some of these animals when
there is no room at Animal Control.  We share a campus with them.

When tempermant testing the dogs - or any animal - they don't do mean things
to it.  They will do things to it that many people will do.  Things like
awkward petting, handling feet, ears and tail.  They will test for food or
other object guarding. These tests are very similar to the tests the schools
put the guide dog puppies and adults through before and during training.

When a person wants to adopt, they meet with a Adoption Counsellor to
discuss the suitability of the particular animal and the prospective
adopter.  The idea is to not get the animal back because it doesn't work out
in that particular home.

The dogs get training and are sometimes put into foster homes to get
training and socialization if needed.  The methods are cruelty-free and
positive enforcement methods - no choke collars or leash corrections that we
use with the guide dogs.  They are trained with "click and treat" methods.

If a pet is so damaged that it bites or attacks, then sometimes euthanasia
is needed for that animal.  Some of the large dogs can kill a human.  It is
negligent for the HS to release a dangerouos dog to someone.  The HS staff
leans over backwards to try to salvage an animal but at times it doesn't
work out.

When we get new animals for the P-AT  program, we temperment test all
animals we are considering - that means even the guinea pigs and rats.  They
have to be the right animals that will enjoy the going out to nursing homes
and places for disabled kids and adults to be played with and enjoyed.  We
do another test for our program even after the HS gives the initial testing.
We put our own dogs through this test to be allowed to use them for the
program.  Even Landon went throuogh their testing - and passed with flying
colors!  At each site we visit, we are constantly monitoring how the animals
are being treated by the patients or students.  Any kind of rough handling
is nipped in the bud at once and the animal is removed from the offending
person at once.  Safety to the people we visit and animals is utmost in our
minds.

There are many fine animals that are looking for good "forever" homes and I
always recommend checking out the animals in the HS or other good shelters
rather than buying from breeders.  At the shelters you get an animal already
spayed or neutered, medically healthy with up to date vaccinations - and
tested for good temperment.  A great deal and you save the life of a good
animal!

Landon has a cute rat friend at our program.  It is "Vanilla", a cream and
white Hooded Rat.  Vanilla loves to walk over to Landon and they greet each
other by touching noses.  Vanilla wants to climb onto Landon but Landon
draws the line at that!  I wish I could get pictures of the two of them
touching noses - Landon's HUGE nose to the rat's tiny one!  Too cute!  We
aren't allowed to take camera to visitation sites because of the Privacy Act
so I've had to miss many a Kodak Moment with Landon and the rats.  Oh well!

Lyn and Landon