[nagdu] and... how do you get your dogs to stop barking?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Sep 14 14:53:21 UTC 2011

I ask for an incompatible behavior when the barking gets on my nerves.
If he's barking at the front door I get him to come to me away from the
door.  If I'm answering the door I will get him to down and stay.  He
doesn't generally bark when lying down.  When he was younger and would
bark at things when out on a walk, I'd turn a different direction and
get his attention back on me.

It's also important to know why the dog is barking to determine if
there's something bigger going on.   If the barks are accompanied by
growling, showing of teeth or other posturing indicating aggression, you
have a bigger issue.  I'd suggest consulting a local trainer to help you.

HTH
Julie