[nagdu] Doors

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Sep 14 20:03:58 UTC 2011

Thanks Tracy!
I think I'm just going to have to experiment with different techniques
until I find one that works.  At the moment I'm thinking having him do
some sort of guiding from my right side makes the most sense.   Now
whether that means leash guiding, actual harness work or something else
I'm not quite sure.  I do definitely know that I'm no longer comfortable
with the idea of moving without some sort of feedback from the dog.

It'll be a couple of months probably, but I'll let everyone know what I
come up with.

Julie

On 9/13/2011 12:59 PM, Tracy Carcione wrote:
> I've sometimes grabbed Ben's harness with my right hand for a few steps.
> It didn't bother him, though it felt dashed odd to me.  I don't remember
> doing it when there were real clearances for him to work, though.  It was
> more like a half-step up from leash guiding.
> Tracy
>
>> Yup, I'm so with you.  Before the foot incident I was hesitant about
>> moving without harness in hand, especially around doorways and stairs.
>> Now after the foot episode just the thought of moving without cane or
>> harness handle causes me to break out in a cold sweat.   I suppose it's
>> worsened because I can't use either cane or dog right now.  Crutches
>> require both hands.  I think in time I will get better, but while I have
>> the time to ponder such things, I want to figure out a way to go through
>> doors that I feel safe with and Monty won't get squished.
>>
>> I wonder if I could have him move to the right side and guide from that
>> side for a few steps until we cleared the door.  Then I could stop and
>> have him switch back?   I've never had him work on the right side.  I
>> think it could be doable though.
>>
>> Julie
>>

>> On 9/13/2011 12:02 PM, Tracy Carcione wrote:
>>> I notice, now that I pay a little attention, that sometimes I drop the
>>> harness and hold the door, and either bring Ben around behind me to my
>>> right, or leave him on my left, and let him walk through the door ahead
>>> of
>>> me.  He is not trained to leash guide, but he can do it a bit, and I can
>>> feel if he stops or moves to avoid something as he goes through the
>>> door.
>>> I guess I've just had too many mishaps when moving around in public
>>> without using my dog or cane that I am real leery of doing it.  I had a
>>> spectacular incident once when my dog stopped, and I thought he'd
>>> stopped
>>> for a door, so I stepped up to open it and fell down a flight of stairs