[nagdu] GDB's new methods

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 16:08:14 UTC 2011

It doesn't though.  The dogs are taught that they can only take the treat
from the handler.  Even my retired guide Bianca, who is so smart she tends
to get into mischief at home, was always perfect when working, in terms of
being around food.  I could go into any restaurant and she wouldn't search
for crumbs.  She'd pass by food ont he street when we were working.  One
time, at a picnic, she tried to grab something off my plate.  She wasn't in
harness, and I drug that food out of her mouth and corrected her.  She never
did it again.  My current guide Olga can be around food, open trash bags,
even dog food spilled on the floor, and she won't go for it, even off leash,
even if I'm not near her.  I've had dogs from well before food rewards and
after, and my dogs trained on food rewards are better around food than my
dogs who weren't.  I don't mean that every dog is going to be that way.  GDB
knows behavior around food is a huge issue to me, due to a bad experience
with a dog many years ago who would dive at anything he thought could
possibly be food.  So, they give me dogs who have been less likely to
scrounge, as long as those dogs fit my other needs, and they give me tons of
practice on food distractions during training.  believe me, before I tried
using food rewards, I believed the exact thing you do.  A trainer I trust
absolutely challenged me to try it, and I have never ever regretted it.