[nagdu] GDB's new methods

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 17 18:56:37 UTC 2011

Click! Low-cal smelly salmon treat to you! /lol/

Now I'm eaten up with curiosity, too. I'm really glad to see more and
more of the old-guard programs move towards positive reinforcement
training and applied operant conditioning, for a variety of reasons. But
I'm always curious as to how that's going, since it can be as difficult
for a human to make the switch as it is to get an animal to switch from
negative reinforcement training to positive training. It's a whole
different way of thinking and responding, you see. Understanding the
technique and methodology is only the beginning... It's about
communicating with a foreign entity in a whole new way from a whole new
perspective. So, how do the trainers with years of experience in doing
things one way then translate to the new way? Well, they're all
individuals, so it will vary. I'm also curious as to how that works on
an institutional level.

Anyway, with positive training methods -- applied operant conditioning
if you want to sound snooty about it -- there are a number of methods
with varying theories behind them. As with anything else, there a
experts in each who insist that their way is the only way and the rest
is bunk. So, then, which any program and its trainers decide upon will
be the one used by the handlers of the dogs they train because that is
what the dog is trained to respond to.... I'm curious to see how this
new trend is applied and how it changes over time and how it works
out...

So any c/t or other positive method handlers in the newfangled modern
way, give info please. /lol/ Inquiring minds and all that!

Tami