[nagdu] GDB's new methods

Deanna Lewis deannakay618 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 18:12:13 UTC 2011

Hi Tracy,
I am a recent GDB graduate. I was in the pilot 3 week class, when they were testing to see how it worked and to see if 3 weeks was satisfactory.. It worked because now they only offer 3 and 2 week classes. My class was in April/May 2009.
GDB does use clicker training, but one does not need to keep it up. After showing my dog how to locate a trash can, a bus pole, or other object (using the clicker).I don't need the clicker now. I just say... "Find the trash or pole," and he will take me to it. I hardly ever use a clicker anymore. It is nice to have on hand though in case I want to teach him a new trick.

But, I do still use food reward. The food is just their normal kibble, and it's taken from their daily ration. I notice that when I have my food bag (which conveniently goes around my waist) that Pascal is a superb guide dog. When I forget it, he slacks off a bit (smile). When I work on new routes, I want to be sure to have the food bag, so that I can praise him for doing a good job. Even with the bag, I do not treat at every singe up curb, or down curb. Just give one here and there. It really helps Pascal focus on doing a good job and keeps his attention on me. He is my first dog, so I can not comment on how training used to be. But, I really do like the food reward methods that GDB uses. Hope that helps answer some questions.
Deanna and Pascal