[nagdu] Sport vs standard harness

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 18:44:30 UTC 2011

Yup. And yes!

I love the martingale strap both for keeping the rest of the harness
coordinated with Mitzi's movement, and also for the really great
addition to communication of ups and downs, along with some extra
communication of lateral movements. Whizzing up and down curbs on a
brisk walk from here to there in the city is a breeze. She stops for the
down curb (or down stair), of course, and I can get a feel through that
martingale strap through the handle of what's under our feet... I can
tell easily the difference between a straight curb, corner curb (if
she's positioning us to go around grate, say), and a ramp without having
to really think about it. So I find that helps me put my feet in
position on the edge of the curb really easy, and I already have some
confidence that I know what to expect when we step off to cross the
street. When we do strike off, her step off the cub ahead of me gives me
an almost perfect feel to judge my first step down, which is very nice.
In places, there are really high curbs, so stepping off expecting the
street to be the normal distance down is a jarring experience. Being
able to feel Mitzi's movements down, I can judge my foot placement
precisely without the minor trauma. /smile/ And, when we reach the other
side of the street, we just go on up the curb in sync, because I have
her movement to follow. This is great, because the idea of using the
method of having her stop in front of the curb gives me the willies. I
did think about training for that approach until I noticed that it
didn't seem to be necessary. Same for up stairs. She gives me a little
signal in her movements that I barely notice except to respond to if it
is stairs instead of curb, and we can just sail on up without stopping
to let me work things out the hard way. Love, love, love it! The
downward communication is also great for going downstairs, although I
remain a total nervous nellie about that which makes the two of us
together less graceful. Sigh. When I get it right, it's great, but I
still just can't seem to help myself as a matter of habit. I look down.
Then I start thinking about going down... The trick for me is remember
that I need to absolutely never watch where I'm going. /lol/

Another advantage of the martingale strap, in my opinion, especially
with my poodle guide, is that it distributes the pressure of guiding
along the length of the dog's sternum, which is very strong and
comfortable for that. So all of the forward pressure is not across the
dog's chest, which is not as well designed for that sort of pressure. If
that makes any sense. With the poodle build, that distribution and
arrangement of the weight bearing parts of the harness is more
noticeable, as is the difference between the standard style and sport or
Laveau style. For a lab or shepherd, it may not make a huge amount of
difference how the breast strap works around the front of the dog. I do
believe that distributing some of the stress of the pull along the dog's
sternum can't hurt. I coud be wrong there, though, having not had a lab
with a standard style harness to use in further investigations. /smile/
Since I actually like my friends with labbie and shepherd guides, I have
little motivation to star feeling around on their guides while they're
in harness... /grin/

Tami