[nagdu] question about dog schools

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Tue Apr 3 18:46:34 UTC 2012

Hi Julie M,
The Seeing Eye has worked with people with other disabilities.  They are
willing to alter routes to accamidate people who can't walk that long.

As for support canes, I imagine that they are cool with those.  It does
depend on if the person must use the cane on their left side or not.  If the
cane use is permanent, the dog could be trained to work on the person's
right.

I've had several times that I had to use a support cane.  It worked out fine
when I had to use it on the right.  Generally, a support cane is used on the
side OPPOSITE from the affected leg in order to use the cane properly.  If
the cane is used on the SAME side as the affected leg, then it isn't as good
but doable.  I ran into this problem when I had my right foot operated on.
When I had to use the crutches, I coouldn't work the dog at all and had to
take paratransit or just stick around in my immediate area and winged it
with my very limited vision.

My dogs had no problem in adapting to my support cane use.  I'm glad I don't
have to use the cane now as my feet are totally healed.

HTH!  I have a friend with a dog from Guiding Eyes in NY.  She's happy with
her dog and training.

Lyn and Landon