[nagdu] another method for dealing with denial of entry

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Tue Apr 3 16:52:06 UTC 2012

I was talking with one of our graduates yesterday and he related how he
handled a recent denial of entry situation.

He was going into a pizza restaurant for lunch. The person at the front
counter told him, "No dogs, you need to leave or take that dog outside."

He is a techy person and had his I-Pad and I-Phone with him. He said he
keeps a file in the Notes folder that has things like the ADA Business Brief
and other info about assistance dogs in it. He told the person that his dog
was an assistance dog/service dog,  he used every term he could think of.
Then he offered to let the person read the ADA business Brief and the rest
of the info.

The person refused and kept telling him to get out.

Then he said "OK, I will, if you go on video, right here on my phone, and
tell me that again."

The store employee changed his attitude immediately and took the I-Pad to
read the material, then told him to go have a seat and someone would be with
him shortly.

Our grad said that the key was to stay calm and smile while doing all this
but the minute he mentioned video and held up his phone, the attitude
changed.

I may have to try this one next time I'm presented with this situation.
Granted, it doesn't happen often but it's akin to Julie's little form and
much more immediate and controllable.

Maybe we all need to practice the quick draw video for our phones. <grin>

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeninems