[nagdu] What would you do?

Ava Foster avapup.7 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 02:17:45 UTC 2012

Yeah, my thought was immediately, maybe this man has a hearing loss he
doesn't know about, or a progression of one, and is calling traffic
completely wrong as a result. I would think if he was just meandering
into FOUR lanes of traffic, he'd get a traffic check from his dog, but
perhaps he's been lucky enough to have the drivers stop for them.
Maybe he's skipping on waiting a cycle for the light to turn, or maybe
someone has changed the timing on the traffic light at the
intersection. Or, there's always the chance that the sighted people
aren't seeing what they think they are, and it's become a case of
people simply agreeing with each other. Maybe traffic is turning too
soon in a curb lane as they are crossing (drivers not paying attention
as they tend to do at right turns, ugh) or perhaps a million things. I
wouldn't know how to fix it, if I didn't know him or even encounter
him. Calling the school would be my last resort though, as I would
HATE to read that this man and his dog got hit, and realized after the
fact, I could have done something to help. If there IS no school,
well, I hope someone who does know him will say something. This has to
be stressful for the dog, unless the dog doesn't mind...which wouldnt
be good!! Talk about a relaxed dog....ok getting off topic here. My
last theory is: are these drivers *sure* this is a guide dog team?
Even now that I do not need a guide during daylight hours, I sometimes
will still work Cocoa in a guide harness during the day for help with
mobility (it helps a lot with my inner ear disorder), and to an
untrained observer, many mobility harnesses could easily look like
guide harnesses. Maybe this is a service dog team whose ambulatory
handler simply is one of those "last minute" street crossers. OK, all
for now. Ava