[nagdu] owner training

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Apr 5 12:47:47 UTC 2012

R.J.

Those are really, really big questions.  I will only be able to scratch
the surface in an email message, but I'll give it a go.

the pro's:
full ownership with no one to report to or papers to fill out yearly
completely customizable training
no need to take off work for a month to go away for training
complete ability to choose health care, food and prevention methods that
fit my philosophy of care
the ability to use a variety of training methods
the ability to choose my breed, gender and size preferences
the ability to choose my own equipment
but most of all it is the joy of training that pulls me toward owner
training

the con's:
the enormous investment of time
the expense, purchasing the dog, vet care, supplies, preventatives etc.
no built in network of support
the knowledge that if you mess up you could be road pizza
the knowledge that even if you go through the process you may not end up
with a guide dog

and how I went about it...very carefully.

It takes a lot of planning, thought, organization and effort.  I tell
everyone that is thinking of owner training that you need to have a few
core things to make it work.  First you have to have good orientation
skills or the means to know where you are in space.  The second thing is
a background in either dog training or have had previous guide dogs.
Third you have to feel the need to owner train in your soul.  You have
to be committed to the process, day after day, rain or shine, success or
epic fail.  You have to keep putting one foot in front of the other when
there is no end in sight  or guarantee of a guide dog at the end.

I wish you all success in whatever path you choose,
Julie