[nagdu] Churches

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Thu Apr 5 16:59:15 UTC 2012

This is really weird about these supposedly christian churches not accepting
of blind people or their dogs.

Alan, what Lutheran group refused blind people?  There are three major
groups of Lutherans - two kind of conservative and one liberal.  I belonged
to a Lutheran church from the conservative group and this church is VERY
welcoming of blind people.  And the dogs are very welcome as well.  This
church pays a Braille transcriber to make the bulletins each week and they
also make large print ones as wwell so the blind and visually impaired
worshippers can follow along with the service.

If you can find out which Lutheran group this Lutheran church is affiliated
with, I may be able to put a bug in their ear to stop this discrimination.
The pastor I know is from the Lutheran group AALC - American Association of
Lutheran Churches.  He is a regional pastor for this group.  That leaves the
other conservative group and the liberal one.  I doubt the liberal one would
have pastors that would have that kind of attitude about not wanting to
minister to "that kind".

Now, that person who experienced this discrimination now knows what it is
like to be LGBT and trying to find a church home - wwe've started our own
church, MCC, back in the 1970s.

The other thing, don't call churches to ask if the guide dog would be
welcome - just show up!  That's what I always did and I NEVER was turned
away from worshipping at a church.  What I have experienced was that the
sighted people just basiclly ignored me like I wasn't worth their time.
Like being on the outside of a huge clique.

Bertha, I hope you find a good church for you and I'm sure it is very
painful to find yourself being discriminated against by people who profess
to believe in God and Jesus.

Lyn and Landon