[nagdu] Churches

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Thu Apr 5 20:31:47 UTC 2012

Hi All,
I think the issues are mostly with christian denominations and not
necessarily with other religions' views and values.  Personally, I have no
problem in respecting other religions' views in bringing my dog into their
place of worship.  It is like going into their personal homes.  I know that
my dog isn't welcome in a mosque so I wouldn't push the issue with them.
But, I will press the issue if I need to go into a store run by a muslim.  I
respect their religion by making sure that my dog never touches their body
or clothing.  I asked the guy to help me do this by him making sure that he
stayed out of range of my dog and he did and all was fine.  In christianity,
there is nothing about dogs at all and I just think it a sorry state of
affairs if church members discriminate against the disabled and our service
dogs - well behaved services dogs.  In my life, I find so many so-called
christians discriminating against more than disabled peopple and dogs -
they're downright MEAN and I wonder what Jesus they worship - certainly not
the real one whose resurrection wwe celebrate this coming sunday.

I did, however, have the opportunity to go into one of the big churches of
the Mormons right after it waas built and before it got consecrated.  I
guess it is like a special cathedral that only the most religious people go
into and they have smaller churches for the everyday Mormon folks to go to.

We had a visit to this cathedral arranged by a Mormon member of our blind
center and she arranged the tour when they were open to the public.  She got
special permission for the guide dogs to come in with us.  We people had to
wear special paper booties so our shoes woouldn't mark up the white
carpeting.  Interesting because the dogs didn't have to wear said booties.

The tour was very interesting and I enjoyed the murals they had on the
walls.  The Mormon tour guides liked the dogs and all had a nice,
informative time.  Now, only the Mormon higher-ups and priests can go in
there.

Personally, I've been to churches of all kinds of christians and never had a
problem with my dog - quite the opposite!  I had a hard time keeping people
away from my dogs! LOL!

Lyn and Landon