[nagdu] walking in to objects

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 15 18:01:12 UTC 2012

Hannah,

Hm... With Mitzi, I found that getting to know her quirky poodle
psychology gave me more options for negative reinforcement that was
meaningful to her... Now I'm doing the same with a new puppy who is not
a poodle... /lol/

So for Mitzi, something so simple and straightforward as a leash
correction or the word "no" have the opposite of the desired result. She
gets really stubborn and rebellious. If I push it, she melts down. So I
haven't used a leash correction in years. Not worth it!

She hates to be embarrassed in public, though. So to be spoken to
disapprovingly and made to do something again until she gets it right is
something she would rather avoid. /lol/ She really likes being told how
clever, etc., she is when she does well, and she is really very clever.
So when I gush over that once she starts getting things right,
especially if there is a crowd around, that's really great. /lol/ o it's
a better reward even than click and treat. I have found the clicker to
be very useful with her as a communication tool, though. A quick easy
way to just say, "Good job!" And, if something is tricky for her, then
many parties when she gets it right. /grin/ Well, she mostly gets things
right now that she's grown up and has experience, but if we've been not
working enough, I will be sure to use the click/treat, verbal praise,
parties, etc., when we do our refresher team work. It works really well
with her.

Um... She hates to be bored. So there have been times when she was being
squirrelly that I would just stop and stand around looking the other way
and ignoring her until she decided for herself that she would rather
work than be bored. Then I would praise her as we moved forward again.
That was when she was pretty young, but I got to do that a few times
during team building, too. Oddly, she does the same thing to me when I
miss a curb or something... /lol/ She will just stand and stare off into
space until I get back into position and decide to pay attention. Then
she rewards me with a little happy huff and happy dance, and off we go.
I don't miss curbs anymore because I do not want to be negatively
reinforced that way. /lol/

Of course, having been the first human to bond with Mitzi, when she was
7 months old, my methods through harness training and team building and
on into her working life have developed over time as we have come to
understand each other. But some of those methods seem to follow what
others have observed of poodle psychology. So maybe you can find
something there.

Oh, I notice a real difference with Mitzi, too, if we don't get in our
interactive play. So I'm bumming here at Dad's, because we lost our
soccer ball for yard play, and I don't seem to have any shadow balls
(actually j-Squeak balls) for playing indoors.

Poodles do tend to be anxious critters and I noticed early on in
training and team building that Mitzi would work herself into a meltdown
trying to do everything right. Then her work would really suffer and she
would make a lot of mistakes. Correcting her would only make things
worse! So I started giving her something to do that she could succeed at
and be praised and gushed over for, then I would take off the harness
and take out the cane and just go with her on leash so she could relax
without the heavy burden of responsibility. Sometimes, I would just
spend a day with her on leash while I used the cane, so that she could
observe and we could work on one little problem area to shore up that
facet of her work the next day. This worked really well with her.

Also, the few times she would run me into something, I would not hold
back on my pained exclamations and would stop and rub my shin and be a
little melodramatic about it all. This was more effective with her than
a verbal rebuke or correction. Hm... So then she would be really careful
not to run me into things. When she was younger, her attention was more
likely to wander, but she is really safety conscious. Which is great for
me because I am a klutz who tends to go off into the great unkown like I
know what I'm doing. /lol/ I need a babysitter, not a guide dog! /grin/

When she was younger, I would also give her rest breaks if she seemed to
be having trouble focusing. Just short ones after awhile, where she
could take her mind off work, maybe even have a controlled sniff, etc. I
will still give her sniff breaks if I see the signs that she needs one.
These days, she will sniff for a couple of seconds, maybe look around
and all, then let me know she's ready to go agaiin! Gives me a break,
too, I guess. /smile/

Okay, that's a lot of stuff, and it's my observations of my own poodle
guide, so I don't know if any of it is helpful.

I also agree with the suggestions that you talk with your trainer, since
he/she is the one who knows how Princess was trained and how she
responds and so forth. So he/she can probably give you some tailored
suggestions.

Best with your curly girl! Hope you get this worked out.

Tami