[nagdu] walking in to objects

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 15 19:56:16 UTC 2012

Cindy,

DD has finally learned that rule. If the dog is walking me off a cliff
or in front of a bus, by all means yell! Otherwise, let her do her job
and let us work out mistakes that do come up. It's difficult for him,
but he is getting better. /grin/

To work a clearance problem, though... As I conceived it in training
Mitzi, the thing to communicate to the dog is that the dog is
responsible for clearing. This is a responsibility the dog cannot space
on. Faulty clearance is not okay, it causes problems, so you my darling
poodle, had better clear things or we will have to keep doing it over
until you do. The more times you fudge the clearance, the more annoying
I will become about working it again... And so forth.

Also, at least in my opinion, letting the dog slide on smaller key
responsibilities increases the likelihood the dog will slip up when it
counts and you're walking off a cliff with no one to yell, "Stop!"

For myself, I would find coaching most helpful if the sighted coach
could follow along and see what is going on when mistakes happen.
Especially at first, that would have been a big bonus! The bright side
is that I have learned to be much, much  more aware of my own
surroundings and what is going on with my dog. But that takes, as they
say, time. And working through those times when you do lose trust in
your dog, which can also translate to the dog and increase the
likelihood of mistakes. So that is a toughie. You need to trust the dog
to set it up for success. But you get hurt if your trust is misplaced...
And if you don't question your team in times like that, then you're less
human that way than I am. /lol/ It's a really tricky balance.

I dunno, Hannah. Can you talk to your trainer and ask for more
observation without interfering in your team work? Seeing what is
distracting the dog that may be something you can't see or hear could be
really helpful. Then you could work on that sort of distraction. Or
maybe there is something in her body language or demeanor that you can't
pick up by feel because you are literally too close to her. Is her tail
up? How is her head set? Stuff like that. In time, you will become more
sensitive and aware of such things, but at first it is harder to tell
the fine points of what the dog's body language could be telling you. So
having an observer to see what is going on can be a real help in
diagnosing the root of the problem. Also, having some reliable
observation of what you are doing is a good way to diagnose if handler
error could be a fact. Not to suggest you're in the wrong, but it does
happen. And it's awfully hard to notice while you're building up
experience as a handler. Or sometimes even when you have. /smile/ But
the mutual diagnosis does get easier, so that's a plus!

So what I would find helpful in terms of a critique on my handling would
be specific descriptions of my own body language, foot placement,
tracking with my dog, etc. I'm not interested in a long diatribe of the
"you're doing everything wrong!" type. Not helpful. But especially at
first when I was transitioning from trainer to handler, I would have
loved someone to follow me everywhere and suggest where I could improve
so I didn't have to work so hard to figure out what I was doing wrong
myself. /lol/ Well, you got a lot of that in school, so that's a plus.
But the real world is more complex, so that's why it takes time in team
building.

Again, I'm just tossing things out. I can tell how much you love
Princes, and that she is capable of excellent work. So I hope you are
able to iron this out. The period of wondering is the worst for sure!
And the decision that it can't be worked out would be heartbreaking.
You're not the only one to go through it, but that doesn't make it
easier, I am sure.

Best,

Tami