[nagdu] walking in to objects

loriandleo loriandleo at ohiohills.com
Fri Apr 20 10:58:07 UTC 2012

Hi Tracy,

I agree here with you. Princess shouldn't be running Hannah into poles or
any obsticles in their path. Princess should be able to take her around the
pole or any obsticles without running her face first into them. To me that's
unexceptable and I would have the dog rework the obsticle over and over
again until the dog got it and took her around the pole  like Princess is
supposed to do. I really think someone from Pilot needs to come out and work
with her and Princess on this issue?  After all, their safety comes first.

My  previous dog Leo, got distracted when my fiance came walking into Dollar
General to meet me and Leo got distracted and ran me face first into a pole
that was in a ile and he didn't take me around.  You better believe Leo got
a  good firm leash correction with a verble correction as well. Then I tap
the pole and showed it to him and said something like" you see this.you take
me around it" And I had him rework me around that pole again and he took me
around it with no problems. And he never did it again.

My current dog Gipp has never ran me into a pole or any obsticle for that
matter.  If Princess can't keep Hannah safe when guiding her then maybe
Princess should have never been put out as a guide dog.  Also if  the
trainers are telling Hannah to stop so that the dog doesn't run Hannah into
a pole or obsticle, then how is the dog going to be able to do her job
affectively and know how to guide her around poles and obsticles if Hannah
is being told to stop? To me that is sending the wrong message to the dog.
Princess probably thinks that she doesn't have to take Hannah around poles
or obsticles now since the trainers were telling them to stop while in
training.  Just my opinion but I think the trainer might be the cause of the
problem and now they don't want to help Hannah fix the problem. To me that
is so wrong and vary unexceptable to me. If a dog keeps running a handler
into poles or any type of obsticles every couple of weeks even after
correcting the dog and reworking the obsticle, then how is a handler
supposed to put their life in the dogs paws and trust that dog to safely
guide them when out in public? I think if that was my dog and leash and
verble corrections and reworking the obsticles didn't do the trick and fix
the problem, then a call to the school would be in order and I would assist
for a trainer to come out and work with me. And if that can't be done then I
would assist that the handler and dog go back to the school for brush up
training. theirs no excuse for the trainers not to help the handler with the
issue at hand. And if the problem can't be resolved or fixed then maybe the
dog shouldn't be a guide dog and needs to be retired. I understand that
Hannah and Princess are a new team and that it takes time to work some
issues out to build and to become that successful team. But enough is enough
here and  if the handler and dog can't be safe when out working, then it
just might not work for the team. Maybe, Princess is the wrong dog for
Hannah. I don't know. I hoe things work out for Hannah and her dog but it
just seems she's had more of her share of  helth and  other problems with
Princess in the seveal months that she's had her. Princess also might need
more additional training. I wish her good luck though. Take care.

Lori and theGipper