[nagdu] Wanting to Chase all moving animals, especially small ones...

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Apr 23 12:09:31 UTC 2012

When Echo first came home with me, she had a terrible thing for squirrels,
and there are lots of them in my neighborhood.  For most things, a verbal
correction was enough, and any hard correction would make her dissolve
into a puddle, but the only thing to stop her chasing squirrels was a high
collar.  I learned pretty quickly to recognize the signs of a squirrel
being spotted, and I'd pull up her collar and hold her leash in my right
hand, ready to pop her.  I worked on it for months, but eventually she
could walk right past one of the little buggers.  I let her still chase
squirrels in the yard, but not while working.
She also wanted to chase cats.  I never got that totally under control,
just because we didn't encounter that many, but I got her so she'd walk
past one.
Tracy