[nagdu] transportation of heck

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Mon Apr 23 22:53:26 UTC 2012

Hey Bibi,
Sounds like some of the downtown San Diego bus stops.  This is a huge
problem when there is no specific bus bay at the station with a sign that
says the route number.  It's like that at the San Diego State stop -
upstairs with the several buses that come there and there's no special spot
for each bus route.  At our Old Town Transit stop, there's poles with the
route numbers for each bus and you just go to where the bus will come in.
they even have Braille on the pole so the blind can read the route number.

The drivers claim that they don't see us and they just pull around the bus
ahead of it like in your case.  We've had drivers who don't want a guide or
service dog or a wheelchair user on because it takes time to tie down the
wheelchair.  Or they don't like dogs.  Or they don't like disabled people.
Tough you-know-what! (fill in your favorite expletive!)  Unfortunately, the
guy who used to tell us about this problem has died.

Keep a log of when, where, direction of travel, and route and even vehicle
number if you can get it.  If the dispatcher is rude, I'd find out who is
above them.  Here the buses are NOT supposed to just go around other buses.
Here, for the MTS, if I get no satisfaction with Transit, I gop to the
Transit Board - I know one of the members!

Thiose drivers whould be fired here.  Their job is to drive the bus and call
out the main and transfer points along the route.  their job, under ADA
rules, is to call out any stop a blind or disabled person asks for.  Their
job is to pick up all passengers unless they are drunk and agressive, or
whatever would be a danger to the driver or passengers.  If the drivers
don't like it, well, they can find another job! You did the right thing and
keep it up!  This kind of crap won't stop unless we all demand our rights
and for the bus drivers to obey the ADA rules.

Lyn and Landon