[nagdu] getting along with other guide dogs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Apr 27 12:30:44 UTC 2012

If I'm meeting a friend with a guide dog, I have no problem if the dogs
want to sniff each other and say Hi.  Usually they just give each other
the old butt-sniff and they're both satisfied.  But a few weeks ago, I was
walking into the bus terminal while another guide dog user was coming out.
 I would have liked to say Hi, who are you, where's your dog from, and all
that jazz, but she was yelling at her dog, trying to keep it in line and
not visit Ben, so I kept Ben moving along and didn't bother her.  I also
got the sense that she was a bit nervous coming into the big city, and
wasn't in the mood for guide dog chat.

If I'm at home with another guide dog user, we let the dogs play, if they
want.  Usually, they're not very interested in each other, though.  Most
of the guide dogs I know are more people-oriented than dog-oriented.  Dogs
are interesting and fun, but people are even better.
Tracy