[nagdu] independence

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 28 18:21:41 UTC 2012

Again, JMO, it is also my own philosophy, not everyone has to agree with it.
Again, not everyone can do what I can do, or what Marilyn can do or our President Marion Gwizdala can do, but to say that, people can get killed if they use a cane instead of a dog, is something just not true. It has to do with mobility instruction that is all.
And using what we learn and not just relying on one thing.
Again, I use all 3, I have gone sighted guide, and also use my cane on numerous occasions, crossing the streets of NY and other places, without my dog.  Unfortunately, not everyone is in my position, like you said Rox, but you are deaf and blind and unable to walk without assistance, we have many people on the list like this as well.
I just had an issue with that particular statement.  I makes me think that blind people must need a dog or they will not be able to get around.
I was recently had a conversation with a friend of mine, and he said that he knows a blind person who walks 3 miles a day back and forth to work, and he keeps asking this person to get a guide dog, and he said why I don't need one, he said to help him cross the streets.  The man got upset and said, I don't need that kind of help.  If I wanted a dog I would have got one years ago.
Good for him.  I love my Maxx, I am grateful that I was able to get a dog, but I also don't rely on my dog for my independence.
Children are taught to use there canes at a young age, and many cannot get dogs until they are old enough to take care of them, themselves.
So again, it was my own opinion, as well as a little NFB influence.

Leading the Way in Independent Travel!

Cheryl Echevarria
http://www.echevarriatravel.com
631-456-5394