[nagdu] independence

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 18:11:23 UTC 2012

Cheryl,

The issue here is that not everyone can use a cane.  For some of us,
we cannot leave the house without either a dog or a person.  This is
not me not being independent, it is me being Deaf, Blind, and unable
to walk without assistance from something-- be it dog, person, or
walker.  It is physically impossible for me to just grab my cane and
leave the house.  If I didn't get killed crossing a road by myself,
I'd probably fall down and break something.  I am not alone in my
limitations and abilities.  There are others, for reasons other than
mine, who cannot leave their home alone.  Maybe they have a mental
illness and have a dog to help with that.  Maybe they're in a
wheelchair and need assistance with other tasks.

To make broad statements about people's independence isn't helpful.

It may be important for you, yourself to have good cane skills.  I
know it is important for many people.
But understand that this is your life, your skills and your choice and
that not everyone can or will make the same choices you do, and this
does not mae them less independent.

Rox and the Kitchen Bitches:
Bristol, Mill'E, Laveau, Baylee,!

"Dance, even if you have to warn others to get out of the way first."
http://pawpower4me.blogspot.com
  pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: brissysgirl