[nagdu] amusement parks?

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Apr 29 18:12:10 UTC 2012

Not a stupid question.
I will assume you are not going alone?  When I've gone to an amusement park,
I've gone with a group of both sighted and blind folks.  Not everyone wanted
to go on the same rides so we'd hold dogs for the people going on a ride.
Then a sighted guide would go with the person on that ride.

My days of amusement parks were mainly when I was a kid and I could see
quite good then so I rode the rides just like any other kid.

At Disneyland, I ride the "tame" stuff and many of those rides you can take
a dog on.  Things like the Merry-go-round, the It's A Small World.  I even
drove a car in the Autobahn ride!  It's like a highway and the car goes on a
track so you can't crash it.  I did NOT take a dog on the Bumper Cars ride!

I would not do any rides where there's water, loud noise, bumping, or roller
coaster-type things.  And most important, you really need to know your dog.
Some dogs love the rides and some hate the amusement park atmosphere,
period.  Some places have a kennel to put your dog in but you have to pay -
they're mainly made for pet dogs of people who are vacationing and can't
just leave the dog home.  Also, I recommend booties for the dog in those
parks.  It's hot as hell on the black-top pavement and there's very little
shade for the dog.

Hope this helps - BTW, what amusemnet parks do you go to and what kinds of
rides do you like?  Here in San Diego, we have our Couonty Fair with some
rides but I don't usually go on them because I'd rather buy other things
than buy high priced ride tickets.  Last time I was in Disneyland was in
1993 when wwe went with our blind center.  The dog I had then enjoyed the
rides and meeting Pluto - you know those employees who walk around the park
in huge costumes of Disney charactors.

Lyn and Landon