[nagdu] Discrimination?

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Apr 29 18:52:36 UTC 2012

Seems like the older I get, the more backwards society gets.

Back in 1971, my college roommate got a guide dog.  She let the school know
and when she came back after the summer - when she got the dog - and they
gave her a single room.  But partway through the year she and I decided to
get a room together again.  There was NEVER any problem whatsoever from the
school about anything with her guide dog!  Nowadays, I hear all kinds of
crap college students go through with their dogs on campus - housing mainly.

What's the matter with UC Davis???  they have to follow ADA and that is
that - end of discussion!  You could either get a single room or live with a
roommate who likes dogs.  In our dorm, everyone liked having the dog
around - was like being at home.

Back when I was in college with my roommate with her dog, it was all fine
and no more problem than a few AHs who thought leting the heavy door close
in the dog's face was amusing - people I recall ripping them a new one over
that issue.  My roommate and I would go to meals in the cafeteria and she'd
leave the dog in our room.  It was easier to leave the dog as the cafeteria
was very crowded and food on the floor, etc.  I used to sighted guide her
sinse my vision was good back then.  My roomate would relieve the dog in the
alley around the corner from our dorm main door.

I just fail to see what the fuss is about on the part of some of these
colleges?  On another list, there's a college student who is having a real
stupid go round with the college over where the guy is to relieve the dog.
Good grief!

Yeah, that disabled student services should be able to straighten out the
idiots.  When I was in college, there was no such thing as disabled student
services - we just did things on our own.

Lyn and Landon