[nagdu] Thinking of getting a guide dog

Shannon Wells oldtimechristian at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 08:40:35 UTC 2012

Matt, welcome to the list. I'm Shannon Wells, and I got my first guide dog in 1998. I've been without a dog for 6 years now, but I'm applying for another as we speak.

Having a dog lead you is in some ways like another person. They are trained to know where curbs and steps are. As for knowing whether the step goes up or down, you can check with your foot, but if it is an area you know well, you'll know whether that particular flight goes up or down. The one disadvantage, if you would call it that, to having a dog lead you around is you might not always be aware of what is around you. In my case, I found I liked it better that way. I always have the option of finding out my surroundings, but when I'm headed a particular place, I don't usually care what all is there. I just want to get from point a to point b without finding everything in between.

I never had other dogs or other pets in the house except my guide dog, so you'll have to rely on others on this list to answer that question. But, I have had a lot of friends with pets and guide dogs in the same house with no difficulties.

Good luck,

Shannon Nicole Wells, author
http://www.wildheartbook.com
http://oldtimechristian.blogspot.com